Friday, April 22, 2011

Lenten Family Devotions

This is our display that goes by our table. Everything we need for family devotions.

Last year I picked up, "Family Celebrations at Easter" by Ann Hibbard at our local library, and this year I bought it off Amazon. This is a book that we will use through out the years and something I think we will grow into.
This is an excellent book full of wonderful activities and daily family devotions. In the back of the book there are these 'Symbol Patterns.' For each daily devotion there is a symbol.
It's a project:
1. Copy the symbols  from the back section of the book.
2. Cut them out, and color them.
3. I chose to mount them onto colored paper to make them a bit more sturdy and colorful.
4. You also need to find a way to hang them on your tree. I used ribbon and attached them to the back with glue dots.
5.  I also wrote the verse that goes with each devotion and the day that it should be put on the Easter tree.
My advice to you--- Start this project before the Lenten season begins. Or at least give your self a head start so that you have the first couple of ornaments ready.
Better yet, start this project before you have kids. These devotions would work for a husband and wife to do together. I also think it is a great idea to do these time intensive projects before you have kids, so that when the time comes and you don't have time, you have them ready and waiting.
Of course, if your kids are older this is a great family project. You could spread the project over the entire Lenten time (there are 46 ornaments). Or work together as a family to get them all done at one time. You will have the project done in not time!
I made two copies of each ornament. One for me to color and one for CJ to color with me.
The season spans between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. The idea is that each day of the Lenten Season you have a family devotion and hang an ornament on the tree.

You can decide when to have your family devotions based on your schedule. Some days we like to have them around the breakfast table. Other days we do it after dinner.

Each devotion has a scripture to read, songs to sing, a little anecdote to help bring understanding, and questions for discussion.

The book also includes recipes and ideas to create your own family Passover Meal.
I highly recommend it!

No comments: