Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Book Basket

 One thing I love to do is have a special basket full of books for us to read together as we prepare for Easter.
Here are the books in our Easter Book Basket.

"The Easter Story" by Tracy Harrast is a colorful lift the flap book. This book does a great job of telling the story in an understandable way. It is fun, colorful and interactive. This book is great for toddlers and Preschoolers.

"The Easter Story" by Carol Heyer is one of my very favorites. My mom bought this when my siblings and I were young. The illustrations in this book are absolutely beautiful, it is wonderful to look at. Throughout the book the illustrations show pictures of Jesus' hands in the different scenes and show the faces of the other people and their reactions. There is such an emotional response. This book will capture the eyes of young and old. The pictures go well with the story and will help your children remember it.

'The Parable of the Lily" by  Liz Curtis Higgs is a sweet story about a little girl, Maggie, who is given a special surprise gift. She is so disappointed when she opens it and only finds a crate of dirt. Maggie goes through a journey full of meaning and symbolism. There is something for every age in this book. For my toddler and preschool they were very excited when they got to see and smell and Easter Lily on Easter Sunday.

"Poems and Prayers for Easter" by Sophie Piper. I love to read poetry to my children. This is a wonderful collection of sweet and poignant works. It includes poems from Emily Dickenson, William Blake, Langston Hughs, William Wordsworth-- just to name a few. I really enjoyed reading this to my Preschooler CJ. Poems ranged from responses to what Jesus did for us, to the changes of the seasons.

"The Donut Man, The Resurrection Celebration." This is a movie full of wonderful songs and illustrations to tell the Easter Story. My girls absolutely loved it and I enjoyed watching it with them. We enjoyed singing and dancing to the music. It also brought the story to a level they could understand and apply the message to their lives.
  

No comments: