Monday, April 18, 2011

Cloth Diaper Update-- After Two Years of Use

Rose asking the question: 'Does this diaper make my butt look big?'
Cloth diapering.... what a ride! We have done cloth diapers through the many ages and stages of Rose and through the potty training stage of CJ. Our diapers have seen close to two years of straight use (this is factoring the six month break we had to take due to my surgery). In that time the diapers have more than made up for their initial cost.

Here is a report on how the diapers held up:

My Bum Genius all need to have new Velcro tabs replaced, which is really a minor sewing project but something I haven't gotten to. I have had to buy more inserts over the years. I have also had to strip them regularly to keep them smelling fresh. I strip the diapers by occasionally running them through the wash with vinegar and baking soda or lemon juice. Since we have gotten our front-loading washing machine I usually soak them in a bucket with vinegar to strip them.

When it comes to stripping the diapers I recommend looking at the manufacturers website to see what they suggest.  

I have been using the Kushies lately because they are less worn out, and Rose has grown out of many of the covers that I have. We stopped using the Kushies early on because I find it really difficult to keep them smelling fresh. This continues to be a problem. But between borax, baking soda and using an odor eliminator, I think I am making progress.

If I had to buy diapers all over again I would probably just buy prefolds and covers. Prefolds can be so intimidating when you are starting out. Pocket diapers and all-in-ones seem so much like disposable diapers, they seem easier and safe. BUT, one thing that I have learned about pocket diapers is that they create a lot more laundry than needed. Doing cloth diapers already increases the laundry, why make it more than needed. 

I like being able to reuse the same cover through out the day, or rotate between a couple. I also think that the prefolds are easier to soak and wash. Plus you aren't having to deal with so much work before putting them in the washing machine. With pocket diapers you have to remove the insert and fold down the tabs. This may not seem like much, but I don't relish spending quality time with yesterday's poopy diapers. 

Rose sporting a prefold and Snappi. 
Once you get the hang of prefolds they really aren't as hard as they look. Trust me! I still like using the Snappi, but with certain covers you don't even need them. I still really like the covers from Mother's Ease. But, I have been hearing great things about the G diaper. 
When I was starting out the G diaper was a combination of cloth and flushable eco-friendly disposable inserts. They were also really expensive. Now, I am hearing that they have a great cover that you can just fold your prefold up in the newspaper fold and stick it in there. The covers are super cute, and hold up well. The most important thing to look for in a cover is the gussets around the leg. You really want to make sure that it is leak proof. I am told that these are really awesome. I am thinking of ordering a few to test them out. 


And that, folks, is my cloth diapering update. Stay tuned for more articles on the many facets of cloth diapering. 

1 comment:

Mariena said...

Thanks for the info! I've been using BumGenius for a year now and have been very happy. I may add some prefolds to the mix for the next baby to get them to last longer but I don't think most daycares will use them (whereas they have no problems with all-in-ones).

I've never heard of stripping before I just use the sanitize feature on my front loader a couple times a month and wash in hot water. I have noticed absorbtion has declines though.