Sunday, May 27, 2012

Trying out Terrariums

I have been wanting to make terrarium. As with most things there are lots of ways to do it. Some of them are complex and very artistic. I started out by checking out a few books on Terrariums and looking for directions on various sites. I saw lots of very inspiring examples. But, to start out, I decided to keep it simple. 

First I gathered jars and vases. I found all of these around the house or by collecting various interesting jars. It was a great way to re-purpose items and supplies that I already had on hand.
This craft could easily be done with children. But this time I enjoyed a quiet mommy moment when I assembled these. It was quite enjoyable! 


Step one I gathered materials: Rocks or Pebbles, Charcoal, Moss, Soil, & Plants. 

Level 1: Rocks or Pebbles. I used left over rocks from when we set up our aquarium.

Level 2: Charcoal. Charcoal is also used in some aquariums. I did not have any, so I bought some that is traditionally used with plants. There was a lot to choose from. I decided to use Black Gold.

Level 3: Add a layer of moss. I used left over moss I had from potting my Orchid.

Level 4: Add a layer of potting soil.

This long spoon came in handy when I was adding layers and arranging the plants.
Level 5: Plants. Next I matched up the plants to the jars, and planted them in the soil. I found these plants at our local nursery for about $2 a piece.

Level 6: Moss. I added moss around the base of the plants.
This was a perfect little spring craft that created lovely little gifts, made with many things that I had around the house.


  

No comments: