Sunday, January 16, 2011

You have to be one to know one

Yesterday, I mentioned the revolutionary podcast where I realized that I am a Messie.

On the podcast Sandra Felton gave the identifying characteristics of a Messie.  As I listened I definitely identified with her list and realized that I deserve that title.

You are a Messie if:
1. You hate unexpected guests- right before Christmas, Great Nana was coming over to bring the girls presents. I turned into Tornado Sue and in a frenzied whirlwind I cleaned... OK stashed. (I had been sick and the house was really bad!)


Long painful list of Library fines. 
2. You can't find important things-- just that week we lost our first Library Video. (We have lots of late fees but this was our first lost item.)


3. You feel bad about how your house looks.

4. You feel bad about how your house works.

5. Inertia sets in when your house gets out of control

6. You are not visually in tune. You don't notice that the house is a mess until someone rings the door bell. You can walk through the house without paying attention to the mess.

7. You are not lazy, you work hard but your work does not bear fruit. (No one can tell you've been cleaning all day- You find yourself rearranging piles of stuff)

My stack of magazines I was saving to read.
8.You have a hard time throwing out magazines and newspapers because they are full of ideas and you are an idea-oriented person. I don't just browse through magazines... I READ them, and then tear out the good parts and make my own little book. BUT, this has become my cookbook. However, I got rid of the majority of this pile of magazines. (This was surprisingly difficult)  I am also planning to donate all the cookbooks I never use.
We used to have three jars of pens on the counter.





9. You are a perfectionist- this is the chief problem that hinders a Messie

10. You save stuff just in case you need it. But this does not do you any good if you can't find it when you need it. Or if you know where it is but can't access it easily. But there is something so satisfying when you do have a need and have just the thing you need!

11. You have lots of clutter--- There is a lot to be done in a Messie's house.

Our ONE mug of pens!
12. You are sentimental and like to save things.... like baby clothes etc. This week I donated a bunch of clothes the girls had out grown. (I did save a few special items.)


13. Writing a letter is very difficult because you have to find a working pen, stationary, stamp and address to get it done! (Hmmm... I think I have a few unsent thank you notes hiding around here from when Rose was born. She's two by the way.)


14. You keep lots of pens even if they don't work. I downsized our pen collection immediately. 


15. You have high ideals and are interested in important things - like your family. Is wanting to be Marry Poppins too idealistic? 

No comments: