Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Keeping Perspective

With all this talk of Messes and Cleaning I wanted to throw out the flip side. 




I have never had an experienced mother tell me that she wished she spent more time cleaning her house. They always say they wish they hadn't worried about it so much. Time flies and babies grow up so fast. AND kids learn through making messes. Kids also learn from helping pick up that mess. 

It is about balance. Part of that journey for me is learning how to bring that balance about. I want my kids to have room to play safely. I want to have a home my husband wants to come home to. I also want a house that is comfortable to live in.

Comfort is one thing I always think of when I think of our house growing up. It wasn't always the cleanest, and we did have clutter here and there, but we were comfortable. It was a nice place to be, and our friends liked to be there. My mom and my dad taught us how to work as a family to keep the house clean. 

I will always be thankful for the wonderful home I had the privilege to grow up in! Thanks mom and dad!

Here is a wonderful poem, a Wise Woman named Bonnie sent me this week. I thought I would pass it along to you too!


SONG FOR A FIFTH CHILD
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton, 1958

The Cleaning and Scrubbing Will Wait...

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.


Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue

(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm, playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?


The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,

for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.



I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep. 

No comments: