Sunday, November 3, 2013

Counting your stars!

When you live in the greater Seattle area...and your mom writes a blog that includes the word Latte...chances are... your mom likes to drink lattes. And, if you have a grandma that also likes to drink lattes...as a kid you might be introduced to the magic of the extra foamy deliciousness of steamers.

I know I was amazed and thrilled when my Aunt Susan introduced our family to the wonderful world beyond Hot Chocolate...a world of flavored milk. It sounds silly...but isn't that childhood? Reveling in the simple pleasures, enjoying so enthusiastically the joy of a special treat.

But, as a child, once you are introduced to said foamy goodness, it is just a hop, skip and a jump until you have made the leap to expectation and entitlement. If it is good sometimes...wouldn't it be go good to have all the time? Of course...more is better!

Since we live about 25 minutes away from the nearest espresso stand in our tiny town...going into town where they exist is an event in itself. Add to the fact that we only have one car, so we are not venturing out into the little town...let alone...into the big town where they have Starbucks (the place where they actually pay enough attention to your order to write it on your cup...you take this for granted people!! You wouldn't if you lived out where you get drinks you didn't order and then are made to feel like you ordered it wrong...I digress) And since my espresso maker has long since died...we all want to get a special drink when we can.

However, I can barely afford to support my love of espresso, let alone a steamer habit for my kids. And, while I do experience some form of guilt when I get one and they don't...I still get one. My explanation is that mommy changes a lot of diapers, and since I change the most diapers in the family, I get to have a mocha.

Despite the diaper changing justification...the issue of when and how often they get a special steamer was still there. As was the ever looming issue of entitlement.

Then it all came together...we had another issue that we were searching for a way to remedy using some positive reinforcement. So we started a Star Rewards Program all our own. For every night that the girls stayed in their beds once they have been tucked in...they earn a star. For every seven stars they earn a steamer.

This has been a great hit! Not only have they been staying in bed, but they know that when they earn their steamer...they will get their steamer.

So far, so good!!

No comments: